With goldenrod aplenty in bloom right now, I wanted to try using the fresh stuff to dye some silk. Once again, I used my new-to-me rice steamer, with a few modifications to the process.
This time I wrapped my fabric-and-dyestuff bundle in baking parchment before it went on the steaming rack — duh. I also put a little foil tent over the bundle to shed condensation — double duh. I wrapped the bundle around a scrap of copper pipe, but didn’t use any iron or other metal in the bundle (except for the aluminum rice steamer pan).
Because I wanted to try a particular experiment this time, I used a plain, unmordanted PFD white scarf blank from Dharma instead of something previously dyed or gleaned from the thrift store. I’m generally happy with my mad-science methodology and serendipitous results, but I wanted a clear indication of what was happening when….
… after steaming, I dipped the ends of the bundle into two different pH modifiers. On the left is a solution of baking soda and plain tap water. On the right is vinegar.
The color change from the baking soda solution was dramatic enough right away to convince me to abandon methodology and dip the whole thing in the baking soda solution.
Here’s what I got.
As long as the modifer solutions were mixed up, I figured I might as well sample them on one of cherry-pit solar dye bundles. Here’s what that fabric looked like before the modifers. It wasn’t gorgeous, but it looked better than this picture.